Choosing a Columbus SEO and Search Engine Marketing Expert
According to current estimates, Ohio state’s capital city, Columbus is said to have a population of about 2,106,500. This population makes it the state’s most populated city. This is not however the piece of news or information that we want to focus on in this article.
According to Forbes, this city is ranked 28 in “The Best Places For Business and Careers” list. When we consider that the city was ranked 28th out of 200 cities, we will begin to see that it is a city that will attract all kinds of businesses to it. You can check the list here.
When there is an influx of businesses, there is a commensurate increase in the level of competition for available customers. No matter how easy a city makes it for businesses to setup and operate, if the businesses themselves are not getting customers, they will eventually close shop.
To combat this, any wise business owner will invest in effective marketing. There are many ways to go about this but very few are as effective as the method we will be discussing in this article. We are referring to Local SEO.
What is Local SEO?
Most people today know of SEO or at least have an idea of what it is. Any business worth its name today, ensures that their websites are well optimized.
For businesses that operate within a specific geographical area (like Columbus), while implementing search engine optimization strategies, their focus should be on their specific location. To achieve this, you use local SEO.
We can therefore define this as the aspect of search engine optimization that deals with optimizing webpages to rank high for search terms related to specific geographical locations. Such search phrases usually include locations.
Some examples will be phrases like: SEO agencies in Columbus, bakeries in Ohio, dentists near me, gyms near me etc. With such searches, results returned will only include businesses that have been optimized to indicate that they operate within the specified areas or current location as determined by your device’s location feature.
Why is it Effective?
Just in case you are wondering why taking this route is effective, especially for a business operating within a locality, we will look at some very important statistics. A lot of the stats we will look at will be a direct result of the prevalent increase in the use of and dependence on mobile devices and smartphones.
- About 46% of the approximately 5.6 billion searches carried out daily on Google are local searches. We are talking about over 2.5 billion local searches daily.
- It has been found that about 97% of consumers perform a local search to find a local business, service, location or direction.
- About 71% percent of customer who visited a location indicated that they performed a check to confirm the existence of the business before going there.
- Approximately half of all local searches carried out on mobile devices were done to find a local business, product or service.
- Over half of the folks who searched for a local business on their mobile device ended up going to a physical local business within 24 hours.
The statistics continue. You can read more of these here: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/local-seo/what-is-local-seo-why-local-search-is-important/. One thing that runs through these stats is that people take some time to try to identify or locate what they want through their smartphones and other such devices before even stepping out.
The implication of this for local businesses is that they can effectively attract customers to their physical locations by efficiently optimizing their online presence so they are easily found when those searching for their services or products type in relevant keywords.
How Can You Take Advantage of it?
With what we have explained above, any business in Columbus that is not taking advantage of local SEO is losing out on a lot of potential business. There are simple strategies that you can employ to try to optimize your web presence. While it may be in your best interest to hire experts who understand search engine optimization in Columbus, you can also try a few things yourself.
Some steps you can take include:
- Ensuring your site is responsive. That is, it has to be adaptable to different devices, especially mobile ones.
- Including a detailed address.
- Making your phone number clickable.
- Ensuring your site supports voice search.
- Registering for Google My Business and other such listings.
- Getting and publishing reviews from your existing customers.
- Registering on online directories.
While the above does not by any means cover everything you need to do, they provide you with a starting point that you can certainly build on.