Is it Using saliva drug tests reliable?
As a marijuana user, one of the biggest challenges you may face is pre-employment drug screening. There are numerous types of tests that target marijuana users. However, 90% of the drug screenings are administered through Urinalysis or a urine test. But this is changing with saliva or spit tests coming into play. Most people ask about the reliability of saliva drug tests. Saliva drug tests are becoming increasingly prevalent in the workplace as the employer at the job site can administer them.
The main reason why saliva tests are preferred these days is that they are, for the most part, complicated to adulterate. Job site saliva drug tests allow the employer to test employees randomly. Employers for reasonable suspicion, pre-employment, return-to-duty testing, post-accident, or random, primarily perform testing. Saliva drug tests provide similar results to urine or blood test and are a favorite for post-accident testing or on-the-job drug use.
What can a saliva drug test detect?
A saliva drug test kit can detect up to 14 different drugs. Although a 6-panel saliva drug test is preferred, most suppliers offer additional configuration options.
- Synthetic Marijuana (K2/Spice)
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
- Oxycodone (OXY)
- Opiates (OPI)
- Methamphetamines (mAMP)
- Methadone (MTD)
- Marijuana (THC)
- Fentanyl (FEN)
- Cocaine (COC)
- Buprenorphine (BUP)
- Benzodiazepines (BZO)
- Barbiturates (BAR)
- Amphetamines (AMP)
- Alcohol (ALC)
How is the saliva drug test performed?
- You will be provided with a swab component of the saliva drug test. It can be anything from a lollipop or a sponge. The aim is to take your saliva samples for the drug test.
- Next, you will be instructed to rub the swap component against your cheeks or under your tongue until an adequate saliva specimen is collected. It usually takes around 2 minutes to complete the mouth swabbing.
- You will be asked to return the saturated swab component to the collector. The collector will insert the soaked swab into the collection container to run the test panels.
- It will take around 10 minutes for your saliva to saturate the panels. Once the panels are saturated, they will reveal colored lines, indicating negative or positive drug test results.
So, are saliva drug tests accurate?
Saliva drug tests are point-of-care tests (POCT) that are very dependable. As a result, recruiting and staffing professionals prefer to issue saliva drug test kits for candidate screening. Moreover, occupational safety managers demanding full-time sobriety can also benefit from conducting saliva drug tests.
How can I pass a saliva drug test?
Saliva drug tests can’t be degraded because many employers have issued them for pre-employment screening, on-the-job drug use detection, post-accident testing, and more. An Unbiased collector will always be present during the specimen collection procedure.
Most people don’t understand the integrity and accuracy of saliva drug tests. Even forums advocating the methods of adulterating a saliva drug test don’t get it.
- Drinking plenty of water will not work.
- Sucking on breath mints or applying minty toothpaste will not work
- Hydrogen peroxide mouthwash will not work
- Raking the tongue with a toothbrush will also not work
THC, for example, can be detected in your saliva samples for up to 24 hours.