Expensive pay-per-click campaigns that sometimes produce uneven results are simply not an option for many small and medium-sized businesses, so website Search Engine Optimization is critical. Unless your website is “above the fold” on the Search Engine Results Page (i.e. customers don’t have to scroll down to find your listing), they will most likely go elsewhere.
SEO is a little like a FICO score. No one, outside Google or Bing or another such company, can tell you specifically how much a certain item will move your listing up or down the SERP page. That being said, here are a few general tips which you can implement today to make your product or service more accessible to consumers.
Publish Relevant Content
Quality content is the number one SEO driver. A good blog should be between 400 and 600 words. More importantly, the content must remain focused on one keyword and add value to the reader. The engineers at Google define that latter trait as:
- Engaging: The post should be easy to read. Use headers and bullet lists to break up blocks of text. Also, use short paragraphs (no more than four or five lines long) and short, declarative, subject-verb-object sentences.
- Authoritative: Attorneys, doctors, and other degreed professionals, or companies that ghostwrite as these professionals, are almost inherently authoritative. Non-degreed professionals often have street-worthy authority. Either way, including hyperlinks to solid sources (website domains that end in .edu, .org, or .gov) enhances authority.
- Trustworthy: The site should have a Contact Us or other page, and the contact information should include a phone number. The best SEO practice is to include a link to the Contact Us page in the call-to-action at the bottom of the blog.
If all this sounds too time-consuming or overwhelming, there are plenty of ghostwriting services that provide excellent, industry-specific copy that follows the EAT protocol, such as articlez.com. The best sites serve many different industries and have many, many different writers.
Update Content A Lot
Quality individual blogs are only part of the story. Statistics vary, but sixteen or more blogs a month usually generates four times the web traffic of zero to four blogs. The increase is not even. Publishing eight blogs a month does almost nothing to boost traffic, and twelve blogs a month isn’t much better.
If you cannot spend your life blogging, a ghostwriter can either handle the entire load or supplement your native posts. Ghostwriters are very good at matching tone, so it always looks like the same author wrote all the posts.
Utilize Off-Content SEO
This oft-neglected area is almost as important as the quality and frequency of content, because the meta information makes your site much more searcher-friendly. Focus on:
- Meta Title: Emphasize content by adding the article keyword to the title, and emphasize trustworthiness by adding your business name and location after the “|” sign.
- Keyword: The old days of the keyword-stuffed microblogs are over. Nevertheless, a keyword is still important, because it gives the article focus and makes it easier to search.
- Meta Description: Google recently increased the meta description length from 160 characters to 300 characters. The move allows for much more descriptive summaries. Be sure you take advantage of this change.
The Yoast SEO plugin makes this process a lot easier for beginners.
Effective SEO is by far the best way to pull customers to your site, because most people simply do not respond to broadcasted advertisements anymore. People need a reason to visit your site, and the above tips provide just that.